The Town of Lauderdale-By-The-Sea, Fla., once described by ScubaNation TV as a "cozy little drinking town with a diving problem," is once again sponsoring BugFest-By-The-Sea, a week-long series of fun events for divers centered around Florida’s annual lobster mini-season.
The biggest lobster mini-season event in Florida, BugFest is July 25-30 and includes a concert on Saturday, July 29th to benefit Diveheart, a non-profit that teaches disabled veterans -- as well as adults and children with disabilities -- how to scuba dive.
Sponsored by Reef Safe sun care products, BugFest is giving away $20,000 in cash, dive equipment, dive trips and other prizes.
This year's top raffle prize is a 3-day, 2 night dive package for two divers at Neal Watson's Bimini Scuba Center. Divers will stay in the famous Bimini Big Game Club.
BugFest's 2017 beer sponsor is Reef Donkey, a popular APA made by the Tampa Bay Brewing Company.
Now in its sixth year, BugFest includes:
- Free seminar on how to catch and cook spiny lobster hosted by author Jim "Chiefy" Mathie, a retired Deerfield Beach (Fla.) firefighter. The seminar is from 6 to 7PM on Tuesday, July 25 at Plunge, the Town's newest beachfront hotel.
- Lobster Mini-Season Kickoff Party at 7PM on July 25 at Plunge. Come meet Greg Holt from ScubaRadio and listen to the Scuba Cowboy. There will be a raffle and some awesome underwater photos on display.
- The Great Florida Bug Hunt Contest on July 26 and 27! Divers can win cash for both the biggest lobster caught off a boat or the beach. The $20 contest registration fee includes a free BugFest T-shirt and Goody Bag, which includes Reef Safe suntan lotion and dive mask gel. The contest fee is waived if divers stay in a Lauderdale-By-The-Sea hotel! Divers receive a raffle ticket just for registering and a ticket for each bug they bag.
- Lobster chef contest and 'The Big One Got Away' Mini-Season Awards Party on Thursday, July 27. The event is hosted by Billy C and Mitch from ScubaNation TV.
- Dive on Lady Luck, our area's newest artificial reef/shipwreck on Friday, July 28.
- Gold Coast Scuba shark dive off Jupiter on Friday, July 28.
- Gold Coast Scuba and Project Aware pier clean-up dive on Saturday, July 29.
- Benefit concert to support Diveheart on Saturday, July 29 from 6:30 to 10:30PM.
With a reef just 125 yards offshore, Lauderdale-By-The-Sea is Florida's Beach Diving Capital. The Town was recognized by the Florida Legislature in 2015 for its efforts to promote diving and the wreck of SS Copenhagen, a state underwater archaeological preserve off the Town that is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
For more information visit the Bugfest-By-The-Sea Website or call (954) 640-4209.