- This event has passed.
Bugfest 2018 Lobster Mini Season in Lauderdale-By-The-Sea
July 24, 2018 - July 29, 2018
Each year The Town of Lauderdale-By-The-Sea celebrates Florida's lobster mini-season with Bugfest, the bug hunting dive festival! Florida’s premier lobster hunting event brings divers from far and wide to pursue the tasty crustaceans, vie for prizes, and enjoy the good food and celebrations in this lively seaside town.
Sponsored by Reef Safe Sun, this year's event will be held July 24-29, 2018 and features a concert on Saturday, July 28 that benefits Diveheart, a non-profit that teaches adults and children with disabilities how to scuba dive.
In addition to great Reef Safe Sun products, there will be $20,000 in cash, dive gear prizes, and trips. Divers who enter the contest receive a raffle ticket for every lobster they catch! You may not bag the biggest bug, but you could still go home with a prize.
• The Great Florida Bug Hunt (July 25 & 26). You can win a regulator, dive tank or other great prizes, even if you don't catch any bugs!
• A free lobster hunting seminar at 6PM on Tuesday, July 24 at Plunge Beach Hotel. The 1-hour seminar is taught by author and lobster hunting expert Jim "Chiefy" Mathie, a retired Deerfield Beach firefighter. Chiefy will be giving away five of his books on lobster hunting!
• A Mini-Season Kickoff Party at Plunge's beachside pool and bar at 7PM on Tuesday, July 24. Meet the ScubaRadio mermaids and enjoy a free beer, courtesy of Gold Coast Scuba, while listening to trop rock music provided by the Scuba Cowboy!
• BugFest Mini-Season Awards Party and Lobster Chef Contest starting at 6PM on Thursday, July 26th. The event will feature the Scuba Cowboy and ScubaRadio mermaids.
• A wreck diving workshop on Saturday, July 28 with wreck diving legend John Chatterton (Shadow Divers and Pirate Hunters). This includes two wreck dives on Sunday, July 29th.
• A concert to benefit Diveheart starting at 6:30PM on Saturday, July 28 in Anglin's Square.
If you have questions about Florida's lobster mini-season or BugFest, call Steve at 954-640-4209 or e-mail him at firstname.lastname@example.org.